For the past two years, I have been working out exclusively at home, with the very occasional spin class thrown in, and also with occasional outdoor runs.
It’s kind of funny, because when I first started working out at home out of necessity, I HATED IT! I thought that I could only have a good workout if I left the house and either went to the gym or went for a run outdoors. Those were my favorite ways of working out before having my third baby. Once I had three kids, it was pretty much impossible to get out of the house each day for a daily workout.
When Alex was 4 months old, I was feeling very frustrated as I was missing my daily workouts and a friend suggested that I join her in a home workout challenge ran by Bikini Body Mommy. Not sure if you have heard of that program before, but it actually was pretty decent and I did it for about 60 days, and got some results. However, I quickly realized that if I really wanted to lose the rest of the baby weight, I would need to incorporate healthy eating into my Bikini Body Mommy workouts.
That’s when I first heard of Beachbody and the 21 Day Fix. I was looking for a program that had short workouts you could do at home, and that included a simple and effective clean eating plan. I did a few rounds of the 21 Day Fix, lost 15 pounds, decided to become a coach….and I’ve never looked back.
OK…..back to my list!
Here are the reasons why I love to work out at home!
- You don’t need to waste any travel time going to or from a gym – as a busy mom of three, I don’t have a lot of time to spare. Even if the gym is just a 5 min drive from your house, it’s still 5 mins there and 5 mins back….and you have to walk from your car inside to the locker room….maybe change….definitely take off your boots and jacket if it is winter….that’s AT least another 5 mins on each end…..so that’s at least 20 mins wasted (probably much more). That’s valuable time I’d rather spend elsewhere.
- You don’t need to worry about being late for a class – when you work out at home, your workouts start whenever you want them to. You are never late for a class and you never have to rush to get somewhere on time.
- You can workout in whatever you want and never have to feel uncomfortable about other people looking at you – often I just workout in a sports bra and short shorts because that is the most comfortable! I wouldn’t do that in a gym.
- There are no gross germy sweaty smelly people around you – if you’ve been to a gym before, you know what it’s like when a super sweaty smelly person gets on the treadmill beside you. It’s even worse when they are hacking and sneezing and have a cold and should have stayed home instead of spreading their germs. Enough said.
- You never need to worry about childcare – these days I either work out bright and early before the kids wake up or sometimes in the morning when they are already up. Either way, I never have to worry about begging someone to watch them or about dragging them to childcare at the gym. This was particularly useful when I was still nursing Alex and she wouldn’t take a bottle!
- Your kids get to see you work out and they learn from your example – I read something recently that said there are three ways that kids learn something: by example, by example, by example. If you want your kids to live active and healthy lives, be an example for them and show them how it is done!
If you love to work out at the gym, and it’s working for you – keep doing it!
If you are struggling finding time for your gym workouts – consider working out at home!
If you aren’t currently working out, but wish you were – work out at home! It’s the best! I started doing it out of necessity but now I truly prefer it over the gym. I actually have time now to go to the gym or to go to classes if I wanted to, now that the kiddos are older and are in school….but I truly prefer my home workouts!
Want to try the 21 Day Fix? I’ve gathered a great group of women who are all starting the program on Monday, June 20th and we’d love for YOU to join us! Join our supportive community of women who help each other on their journeys towards better health. Be a part of our group – work out everyday from the comfort of your home, learn about portion controlled clean eating and enrich your mind, body and spirit! If you want more info, please shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or PM me via Facebook and I will get back to you ASAP with the details about the challenge.
Follow me on Instagram – @sheryljesin
Follow me on Facebook – www.facebook.com/sheryjesinfitness
Find me on Snapchat – @sheryljesin